User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Very VIP Spartan!

    Awards Showcase

    kilowattore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,550
    GeekBux
    291,721.13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    20


    Default 6542 case study - TS Station rep and vietnam high end

    TS watches 6542 - review and comparison

    There has been a lot of talk around this release from TS watch lately, so I finally managed to get my hands on one.
    Since I accidentaly also have a complete vietnam case set on hand I thought it would have been interesting to see how they compare.
    The following pics have been taken at my desk under a strong light I use for working. I had to take a huge number of pics, excuse some dust and fingerprints I did not have the time to remove.

    THE WATCH



    First and foremost it's interesting to see how the assembled watch looks like.

    The goods

    At first sight it's a nicely made rep.
    Bezel has nice shades of red and blue, numbers have that special 3d effect due to the plexiglas bezel.





    Dial has a deep glossy black finish, prints are sharp and all in all the gold graphics look good. Pity for that Serpico y Laino inscription though...
    Datewheel is roulette (alternated red and black) like gen with nice fonts.
    Lume application is not perfect as sometimes it covers the golden contour, lume texture is very grainy too. At least it looks applied by hand and has nice colour.



    Hands shape is good, and the small GMT hand is a very welcome feature. An aftermarket one will be quite expensive even at rafflestime. Sorry I cut the tip of the hand out of the pic



    Engravings between the lugs and inside the case back are very nice, they're punched and not laser-etched like your usual cartel /JKF reps.




    Movement is a solid and reliable asian 2836 clone with GMT complication. Check the thick brass movement holder.




    The flaws

    The worst feature of the watch has to be the bracelet.
    It looks like your usual cartel riveted bracelet, but I have to warn you guys: tighten up your screws!
    Bracelet literally tore itself to pieces on me while wearing it, watch almost fell off my wrist. Two different links detached at the same time. It never happened to me.

    Crown tube hadn't been completely screwed in, that's another thing that needs to be checked. Tube lacks an inner o-ring and crown is wobbly anyway. Not a big issue but worth to mention.



    Lugs... They are slightly too long (compared to the vietnam case this watch is around 1 mm longer), more than this the lug holes are placed incorrectly and this leads to the bracelet end-links having a ridicolous fit.



    Detail of bracelet engravings





    Bezel does not turn on my watch. After disassembling it I realized the problem was the plexi insert being glued on the retaining ring. Most likely fixable.
    The insert itself, although looking good, is really too thick and cannot easily be thinned down properly. I think it would just be better to smoothen the edges down.
    Bezel ring edges are really too sharp and need to be sanded down and smoothened.

    COMPARISON SHOTS



    In all pics rep is on left and vietnam is on right.

    Dial







    I hope I managed to depict clearly the difference between the printed rep dial and the true gilt negative relief vietnam dial. As I already said it looks like a slight difference in pics, but it's quite evident in real life.
    Dials are the same exact size so a vietnam dial will fit the TS watch case perfectly.

    Rep









    Viet









    Caseback

    They are very similar, except font on engravings. Rep CB fits vietnam case and vice versa.





    Case sets - front view

    Biggest visible differences are in bezel inserts. Vietnam has deeper, darker colors and fatter fonts. TS watch rep looks the part anyway imho.







    Case sets - Side view

    Here you can clearly see how the TS rep is thinner and has longer lugs.
    Bezel shape is slightly different. Rep crystal is thinner than vietnam crystal.















    Bezel assembly

    Bezel assembly is the same. Only the outer bezel has a slightly different profile as shown later.





    Crown area

    Crown tube position is the same in both cases.
    Tube size is the same, rep crown screws on vietnam tube perfectly.
    You can see a detail of the thicker TS watch bezel insert as well.





    Engravings between the lugs

    Engravings are deep on both the rep and vietnam case. Fonts on rep are a little worse.





    Rep




    Viet




    FINAL COMMENTS

    This release from TS Watch represents the first proper attempt to a vintage 6542 and the result is pretty good imho, especially considering it comes way cheaper than a vietnam build. The correctly sized dial is a great feature that allows this watch to be upgraded with a true gilt dial. On the other hand the lugs shape and bracelet fitting is awful and hard to fix. The other issues with the assembly of parts are easy to forgive.



    That's all, I hope you find the thread a useful reference.

  2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post
  3. #2
    New Member
    jsebwc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    63
    GeekBux
    4,776.42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Country
    canada


    Default

    Great comparison. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and findings.
    It is a good value piece



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    Elite Spartan
    n0bby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    986
    GeekBux
    72,641.15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    30
    Region
    uk isle of wight


    Default

    Thanks very much for taking the time to do this review. It certainly does look a good value piece, it's just huge a shame that the lug length and hole positions are off. Still quite tempting though... I'd love a plexi insert GMT, it's by far the coolest looking variant.
    Time is an allusion. Rep time, doubly so.

  5. #4
    Very VIP Spartan!

    Awards Showcase

    kilowattore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,550
    GeekBux
    291,721.13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    20


    Default

    Yes the lugs are a major let down, but I have to say that on the wrist you don't see and feel that bad end link figment so much. I suppose there is room for improving lugs shape though I am always reluctant to mods that include reshaping the upper side of the lugs since it's very difficult to restore the surface finishing after reshaping with proper machines.
    It surely is a worthy intermediate solution anyway, I've been wearing it with joy yesterday.

  6. #5
    Elite Spartan

    Awards Showcase

    capice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    lowlands
    Posts
    3,576
    GeekBux
    293,405.24
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    28
    Region
    eu amsterdam


    Default

    thanks for sharing, the bezel edges looks more straight compared to the Viet which looks more curved on the lower part.

  7. #6
    Elite Spartan
    n0bby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    986
    GeekBux
    72,641.15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    30
    Region
    uk isle of wight


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kilowattore View Post
    It surely is a worthy intermediate solution anyway, I've been wearing it with joy yesterday.
    I am very, very tempted - which usually means...
    Time is an allusion. Rep time, doubly so.

  8. #7
    Removed

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    21
    GeekBux
    4,476.85
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Region
    us new york


    Default

    Thanks for the review. I am going to reach out to a Trusted Dealer and see about getting this one on my wrist.

  9. #8
    Elite Spartan

    Awards Showcase

    daytonadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    18,350
    GeekBux
    1,947,497.56
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    81
    Country
    usa
    Region
    us texas


    Default

    Nice review.
    "Aiyah Panerai, buay beh liao eh lah."

    PM me if you want to sell your Kevin, Ted Su, Wotancraft, Piotr or Simona Straps.

    Strap size is 24 mm and or 26 mm and at least 80mm by 140mm or larger.

    Hidden Content

  10. #9
    Elite Spartan

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Texas Coast/St.Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    3
    GeekBux
    756.09
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Region
    us texas


    Default

    Thanks so much for your time in making such an informative review. I ran across the TS-station website by accident but have been hesitant to contact them since they are not listed as a TD on the forums.
    Cheers
    Mick

  11. #10
    New Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    13
    GeekBux
    1,976.57
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Region
    ca quebec


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kilowattore View Post
    TS watches 6542 - review and comparison

    There has been a lot of talk around this release from TS watch lately, so I finally managed to get my hands on one.
    Since I accidentaly also have a complete vietnam case set on hand I thought it would have been interesting to see how they compare.
    The following pics have been taken at my desk under a strong light I use for working. I had to take a huge number of pics, excuse some dust and fingerprints I did not have the time to remove.

    THE WATCH



    First and foremost it's interesting to see how the assembled watch looks like.

    The goods

    At first sight it's a nicely made rep.
    Bezel has nice shades of red and blue, numbers have that special 3d effect due to the plexiglas bezel.





    Dial has a deep glossy black finish, prints are sharp and all in all the gold graphics look good. Pity for that Serpico y Laino inscription though...
    Datewheel is roulette (alternated red and black) like gen with nice fonts.
    Lume application is not perfect as sometimes it covers the golden contour, lume texture is very grainy too. At least it looks applied by hand and has nice colour.



    Hands shape is good, and the small GMT hand is a very welcome feature. An aftermarket one will be quite expensive even at rafflestime. Sorry I cut the tip of the hand out of the pic



    Engravings between the lugs and inside the case back are very nice, they're punched and not laser-etched like your usual cartel /JKF reps.




    Movement is a solid and reliable asian 2836 clone with GMT complication. Check the thick brass movement holder.




    The flaws

    The worst feature of the watch has to be the bracelet.
    It looks like your usual cartel riveted bracelet, but I have to warn you guys: tighten up your screws!
    Bracelet literally tore itself to pieces on me while wearing it, watch almost fell off my wrist. Two different links detached at the same time. It never happened to me.

    Crown tube hadn't been completely screwed in, that's another thing that needs to be checked. Tube lacks an inner o-ring and crown is wobbly anyway. Not a big issue but worth to mention.



    Lugs... They are slightly too long (compared to the vietnam case this watch is around 1 mm longer), more than this the lug holes are placed incorrectly and this leads to the bracelet end-links having a ridicolous fit.



    Detail of bracelet engravings





    Bezel does not turn on my watch. After disassembling it I realized the problem was the plexi insert being glued on the retaining ring. Most likely fixable.
    The insert itself, although looking good, is really too thick and cannot easily be thinned down properly. I think it would just be better to smoothen the edges down.
    Bezel ring edges are really too sharp and need to be sanded down and smoothened.

    COMPARISON SHOTS



    In all pics rep is on left and vietnam is on right.

    Dial







    I hope I managed to depict clearly the difference between the printed rep dial and the true gilt negative relief vietnam dial. As I already said it looks like a slight difference in pics, but it's quite evident in real life.
    Dials are the same exact size so a vietnam dial will fit the TS watch case perfectly.

    Rep









    Viet









    Caseback

    They are very similar, except font on engravings. Rep CB fits vietnam case and vice versa.





    Case sets - front view

    Biggest visible differences are in bezel inserts. Vietnam has deeper, darker colors and fatter fonts. TS watch rep looks the part anyway imho.







    Case sets - Side view

    Here you can clearly see how the TS rep is thinner and has longer lugs.
    Bezel shape is slightly different. Rep crystal is thinner than vietnam crystal.















    Bezel assembly

    Bezel assembly is the same. Only the outer bezel has a slightly different profile as shown later.





    Crown area

    Crown tube position is the same in both cases.
    Tube size is the same, rep crown screws on vietnam tube perfectly.
    You can see a detail of the thicker TS watch bezel insert as well.





    Engravings between the lugs

    Engravings are deep on both the rep and vietnam case. Fonts on rep are a little worse.





    Rep




    Viet




    FINAL COMMENTS

    This release from TS Watch represents the first proper attempt to a vintage 6542 and the result is pretty good imho, especially considering it comes way cheaper than a vietnam build. The correctly sized dial is a great feature that allows this watch to be upgraded with a true gilt dial. On the other hand the lugs shape and bracelet fitting is awful and hard to fix. The other issues with the assembly of parts are easy to forgive.



    That's all, I hope you find the thread a useful reference.
    Amazing review! Thanks for your attention to details!

  12. #11
    Elite Spartan
    n0bby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    986
    GeekBux
    72,641.15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    30
    Region
    uk isle of wight


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mabruh View Post
    Amazing review! Thanks for your attention to details!
    It's always good to re-quote an entire review when adding a one-line comment. Well done.
    Time is an allusion. Rep time, doubly so.

  13. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
  14. #12
    New Member
    MiniCooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    9
    GeekBux
    1,003.11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Region
    uk wessex


    Default

    Great comparison, review

    Have you undertaken any further mods to the watch

  15. #13
    Very VIP Spartan!

    Awards Showcase

    kilowattore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,550
    GeekBux
    291,721.13
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    20


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MiniCooper View Post
    Great comparison, review

    Have you undertaken any further mods to the watch
    Yes case was completely modded, a review has been posted nere

    - - - Updated - - -

    Actually the very thread after this
    Modded TS watches 6542

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 07:01 PM
  2. ahh my 3 reps and me at last =)
    By jojje22 in forum Discuss General Watch Topics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 06:04 AM
  3. First rep and post!
    By Questions in forum Eye Candy
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-22-2007, 03:49 PM
  4. First reps and boy am I ever shocked
    By Yukon in forum Discuss General Watch Topics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 03:28 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



About RepGeek

Replica Geek is a discussion & review forum for all fans of Replica Watches from around the World. Let's Chat About Replica Watches on Replica Geek.

RG Dealers