PDA

View Full Version : Review of ROLEX Submariner "Noobmariner" 21J Asian

By-Tor
07-16-2007, 02:53 AM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i243/BT2112/title2.jpg

A friend and a fellow forum member asked me if I wanted to have his almost brand spankin' new "Noobmariner" for free. He said that that he had liked my reviews and would like to see this watch reviewed and photographed by me as well. At first I thought that I couldn't accept the gift... but I've read Puggy's and other guys' reviews of this watch... so I couldn't resist. I was curious, to say at least.

This same fellow, who is well known of his generosity among other members too, wants to remain anonymous. It wasn't the first time someone made me a favour here, but giving a watch for free to someone you have never met is quite exceptional.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i243/BT2112/rehaut2_nb.jpg

I try to refrain from advertising the the dealers in my reviews, but just for clarification: "Noobmariner" is the same watch that TTK sells for $100, and that's where this watch originally comes from. Since I praised PT in my last review it's only fair to give credit when credit is due: Neil deserves kudos for bringing bargains like this to our attention.

Yes, you read it right: The price of the watch is $100. It has Asian automatic movement which oscillates at 21,600 BPH. Ziggy has never made an excessive breakdown and review of the basic 21J Asian Automatic, and I guess it would be too big of a generalization to put them all into the same basket. But Ziggy describes these movements in his Watch basics review (http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=1403): Most need no service, and overall are new and clean and well oiled.

The sweep isn't as smooth as ETA, but honestly you have to look really close before you notice any difference (and preferably put the watches side-by-side). This was my first (but most likely not the last) basic Asian 21J-powered watch and I must say I'm impressed by the accuracy and sweep. If you consider that you can get these watches for half the price (compared to ETAs) I'd say these watches are superb value for money.

And even if the movement fails for some reason, a swap to ETA ($60 from Ofrei) is a piece of cake to any watchsmith.

So... what do you get for $100?

You get excellent, accurate and high quality replica. It doesn't have any of the typical flaws that all standard Submariner reps had less than 12 months ago. It has shiny, metallic rehaut, smooth 120-click bezel, almost invisible etched crown on the crystal, hollow link Oyster bracelet, datewheel and cyclops placed correctly (not too right on the dial/crystal), sharp, almost flawless dial and a reasonable pearl. But the most impressive detail of this watch to me is the satin finish of the bracelet and lugs.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i243/BT2112/satin.jpg

The bracelet had sharp edges and I had to file them smoother, but the steel is very shiny and impressive. When you receive this watch be careful not to remove the finish with any abrasive material. Just polish it with car wax or some non-abrasive liquid. It's very impressive as it is. And like I said, the lugs and case have very nice, accurate look and feel as well.

Year ago the crown guards would have been sensational, now they're just "reasonable". They're a bit too thick from the bottom as usual, but have the good "spiky" and pointy look. I'll definitely modify them myself (http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=12382)at some point, but I wanted to review the watch in "out of the box" condition.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i243/BT2112/pose_nb.jpg

What about the "rehaut"... or the "case depth"?

Oh yes indeedy... the rep nerds have wasted so much time arguing and nitpicking about the correct depth and look which, in all fairness, are usually wrong on most old Sub reps. Nitpicking and arguing about these microscopic differences is part of the fun... but to me the more important thing is the smooth, metallic look... rather than some 0.1mm difference in case depth.

Like I said, most replica Submariners have it wrong. The crystal should "merge" smoothly with the case. This is a picture of my old CN Sub rehaut. Notice how the rehaut is "cut in half", not smooth and straight and looks like it's made of two different parts:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i243/BT2112/rehaut_nb.jpg

For any normal people this is nothing but ridiculous nitpicking, but for us RWG Trekkie bastards these are just standard everyday topics:

Here's the "Noobmariner" rehaut compared to the genuine. The difference in depth is minimal, but the crystal sits too low on the rep. The old "TW case" was the only one having it better (it was actually a bit too deep). There are a few new rep 16610 models which have improved in this department too.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i243/BT2112/comparison_nb.jpg

Despite having probably 0.1mm too low rehaut the smooth, straight and metallic look is what makes this watch shine. It looks "correct" and substantial on the wrist.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i243/BT2112/IMG_2598.jpg

Now, let's take a look at the arguably the "Best Sub" 18 months ago: This was my old "CN Sub" with modified crown guards and better pearl. The only thing that was quite accurate on this watch was the dial and winding crown. Actually the crown looks good, much better than on most current replicas (including the Noobmariner, I might add)... The rest looks fundamentally wrong: bracelet, case, cyclops too right, etc. etc.

What feels funny now... only year and a half later... is that people were willing to pay $400 (or even $600) to modify these reps. Now we get a rep that's light years better for $100... in out-of-the box condition. Difficult to say which has improved more in 18 months though: the quality of the Sub reps... or my photographic skills (sorry for the lousy picture).

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i243/BT2112/S5300004.jpg

Conclusion:
I have owned so many Submariner reps that I've lost count. Not as many as Tribal (or Tanfoglio... God forbid...) but many nevertheless. I'm not sure if this is the "Best Sub", I'll leave that debate for the Sub Trekkies. :lol: But I think it's safe to say this is at least very close to that title in completely unmodified condition. The pearl isn't great and the cg's aren't perfect, the winding crown is a bit too thick. But these are easy mods, the watch has a "good feel and look" (as described earlier) and EXCELLENT dial which are the most important things to me.

The only thing that really makes the rep look visually inferior next to the genuine is the difference in luminous abilities. Noobmariner has typical, weakish replica lume. But then again the only unmodified rep watch that I've seen with even remotely impressive lume has been the Omega 4th Gen Planet Ocean. (http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=7483)

This review was really special and lots of fun to put together, due to the nature of this watch. Thanks again to the kind person who gave this gift to me (you know who you are).

I'm not the biggest fan of the basic 16610 Rolex Submariner anymore (and I actually prefer the no-date), but you can't deny the appeal and history of this watch. Everyone should own one, and this watch being a gift, it's obviously a permanent mainstay in my collection. No matter what they'll improve in the future, I'm quite sure this will always be good enough for me.

And once again... what really impresses me about this watch is the price: Like I said, it's completely ridiculous at $100! Now let me see... you get an automatic watch, visually 96% Rolex rep with high quality feel and finish for the price of a friggin' plastic Casio! Call the Bobbies, the noobs are spoiled... and the Chinese are taking over!

PS: Will they suspect it's a rep? Of course they will, it says "Rolex" on the dial, doesn't it? Put it in a genuine box and they'll have a hard time believing it when you tell them.

Thanks for reading.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i243/BT2112/1a.jpg

Hyster
08-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Call the Bobbies

:D

Enjoyed that By-tor, another good review Sir.

Uzi
09-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Nice pictures and a good review too!

Terje
11-18-2007, 08:16 AM
I just purchased one (received it yesterday) in great part due to this review. Thank you!

BigWatchPilot
12-07-2007, 01:26 AM
Thank man for your time and effort in this. I have never been a Rolex fan...but you have done a nice job. I think this would be a nice addition to any collection, even mine.

Thanks...
BWP...on the wagon

k9fxr
03-21-2008, 11:43 AM
NIce review, I'm woundering about the term "noobmariner". Does that refer to an entry level watch, the first one a 'noobe' buys?
Are all inexpensive subs, "noobmariners"?
Thanks-didnt find this on the terminology section

Questions
03-22-2008, 07:28 PM
where can i get one ? im a big fan of the sub ,its style is classic.

flyby75
05-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the pics, and review...nice like always!

Sub16610
07-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi, i'm a new entry in this forum, i don't understand how or where can i buy one of this wonder. I live in Italy and here is not so easy to find some of this perfections.
Thank you.

FedeROLEX
07-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Excellent review, the least to say...
The Submariner 16610 has been and is my favorite watch!
I have been considering the opportunity of going gen with a hurry, considering that I do not like the RRR of the most recent versions and that (God knows) current series might be discontinued.

But... after looking at this state-of-the-art cheap Sub replica, I might consider saving my money.

Hi, i'm a new entry in this forum, i don't understand how or where can i buy one of this wonder. I live in Italy and here is not so easy to find some of this perfections.
Thank you.
I'm from Italy as well... you can get this copy rather easily from the same supplier.

SAVI
12-26-2008, 12:49 AM
I'm new here and I must say that I've read all of your reviews to date and yet again you have given us another excellent review. Thankyou By-Tor, you're an absolute star!

SAVI

mistral1811
12-26-2008, 09:40 AM
First post here after much reading! I've just purchased one of these as an introduction to reps and I must say that I am very impressed, both with the quality of the watch and the transaction with the dealer.

I will write a review in the dealer section to show my appeciation and I look forward to many more transactions, hoping they will all be as smooth as this one was.

p-lund
08-20-2009, 12:31 AM
hi ! i read by-tors exellent rewiew of the noobmariner. he says it comes from a dealer called TTK, and costs only 100$. does anyone know the webbadress to this dealer , cause i am really interested in buying one of those. thanks. p-lund.

OmegaPOFL
08-20-2009, 01:31 AM
yeaaaaah.... about TTK....

he isn't here anymore.. kinda took of with alot of peoples money.

there are other dealers here that can get you a sub :)
look in the dealers section..

narikaa
08-20-2009, 07:52 AM
But not necessarily the 'noobmariner'

TTK (& myself) sourced these from the same supplier.

Potted history:

Pugwash christened TTKs offering as the 'Noobmariner' (Since plagiarised /bastardised by one and all to describe just about anything black with Rolex on it). TTK got on his high horse and asked me not to use 'his' name 'Noobmariner' so I ran with 'Nymphomariners' (as mine always came quicker ;) ).

TTK is no longer here...but I still stock these beasties

;)

Silverspeed
08-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Potted history:

Pugwash christened TTKs offering as the 'Noobmariner' (Since plagiarised /bastardised by one and all to describe just about anything black with Rolex on it). TTK got on his high horse and asked me not to use 'his' name 'Noobmariner' so I ran with 'Nymphomariners' (as mine always came quicker ;) ).

TTK is no longer here...but I still stock these beasties

;)

Now there is a nice piece of replegend history :lol: :lol:
And a great rep, a true classic

lowprofile
08-26-2009, 03:34 PM
By-Tor,

Hows about reviewing the new noobmariner of the noobfactory?

Heres a link from Robert

http://repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=73187

what caught me was the bad date window, looks very cramped.

Hope you review this one too

By-Tor
08-28-2009, 04:41 AM
Hi Lowprofile,

it's the same old Noobmariner. Obviously those in the picture(s) have some QC issues with the date. Buy from Narikaa.

@Narikaa: I hope TTK is well these days... all disagreements aside, I kinda miss him. ;)

PS: I almost feel nostalgic when I re-read these old reviews. This one was written long before RepGeek even existed. Keep bumping them!!! :D

prestigewatchco
08-28-2009, 04:45 AM
Hi Lowprofile,

it's the same old Noobmariner. Obviously those in the picture(s) have some QC issues with the date.

@Narikaa: I hope TTK is well these days... all disagreements aside, I kinda miss him. ;)

PS: I almost feel nostalgic when I re-read these old reviews. Keep bumping them!!! :D

Not according to the factory that make them!
Better lumed dial and new crystal .
But of course if you know different without ever having seen one then so be it

What a turkey!

brokerzach
08-28-2009, 04:53 AM
Good to see this review bumped BT. This watch has potentional to be great, one of my favorites.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff249/brokerzach/subs1.jpg

Noobmariner modded on Left. Genuine on Right.

By-Tor
08-28-2009, 04:57 AM
Not according to the factory that make them!
Better lumed dial and new crystal .
But of course if you know different without ever having seen one then so be it

I have no idea (or interest). I was just commenting the picture that was linked, because a member requested it.

This watch has a terrible crooked date. It's your own sales picture.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2513/35953233.jpg

If your watches don't have this problem, may I suggest that you use better and more attractive sales pics.

What a turkey!

This is a non-profit review forum which only purpose is to give information to members. If you're too blind to spot these problems from your own sales photos, it doesn't draw very good picture of your intelligence (or the quality of your "products".)

I suggest you drag your sorry newbie dealer arse out of my section now. Go trolling for flames somewhere else. If I sometime feel like conversing with an idiot, I'll contact the zookeeper who maintains your cage (and buys the bananas).

Thank you for your courtesy and co-operation. :)

@brokerzach: Yeah I agree... still a great rep for the money. A real classic.

prestigewatchco
08-28-2009, 05:20 AM
Well by your own admission you have no idea or interest but still decided it was "it's the same old Noobmariner" as I said what a turkey!!

As for telling anyone where and where they can go I don't think you have that authority do you.
Maybe the fanboys on RWG indulge you by I don't have to

By-Tor
08-28-2009, 05:29 AM
Well by your own admission you have no idea or interest but still decided it was "it's the same old Noobmariner" as I said what a turkey!!

Perhaps I should have called it "Noobmariner with a crooked date" then?

As for telling anyone where and where they can go I don't think you have that authority do you.

A member asked me an opinion of a watch in my forum section and I gave it to him. Of course I have the "authority". You're not very bright, are you?

Maybe the fanboys on RWG indulge you by I don't have to

You're breaking my heart Ernest!

prestigewatchco
08-28-2009, 05:43 AM
Why don't you take the time to read your own comments.
You say you did this review some years ago before RG in fact .
Then you say you have no idea or interest which would lead one to believe you have not actually had this watch yet, still your ego compels you to declare "this is the same old Noobmariner"

Strange as it may seem maybe the Noobfactory have done these upgrades without consulting you or is that an idea just to incredible to conceive.

By-Tor
08-28-2009, 06:30 AM
Why don't you take the time to read your own comments.
You say you did this review some years ago before RG in fact .
Then you say you have no idea or interest which would lead one to believe you have not actually had this watch yet, still your ego compels you to declare "this is the same old Noobmariner"

Strange as it may seem maybe the Noobfactory have done these upgrades without consulting you or is that an idea just to incredible to conceive.

I have reviewed the Noobfactory two-tone Sub which actually HAD some upgrades. Read the review here. (http://repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=17587)

Compared to that review watch, your TT Sub has a terrible oversized crown, cheap arse "gold" bracelet where the last gold link is just layered over steel, plus crooked date & crystal. That much is apparent from the pictures.

I wouldn't call them "upgrades" but "downgrades". And I can only comment what I see. Everyone in this community determines the quality of a product from the pictures (before they buy). I guess members have to take the your "word" for the invisible "upgrades" (that don't show in the photos). :lol:

Steel Asian Yachtie and Noobmariner (when QC'd) are excellent replicas for the money. Cheaper two-tones with the cheap "gold" bracelets are not... especially when they have obvious QC problems. I understand it's a cheap watch but it doesn't change the facts: Not recommended.

PS: I don't give a crap who sells what... I treat all dealers equally and I don't care if my comments "hurt their feelings or sales". All dealers (except you) have always understood this... they understand it's nothing personal. You're the first one ever who comes to my section and starts calling me names and whining like an old lady.

Why do you think I'd give a **** about you and your sales... unlike you I'm not making a DIME from this hobby... that's why members read my reviews and trust them, and that's why YOU will continue to embarrass yourself (if you decide to carry on with your virtual self-slaughter). And besides, you can't speak proper English, compose proper sentences together and (apparently) even understand that your own sales photos ruin your business. However... if you want to keep going on with this, I have absolutely no problem roasting your semi-literate arse even more.

Personal feelings aside, if you can come up with a decent product I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to the members. But that TT Sub I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Pugwash
08-28-2009, 07:03 AM
:cowboy:

Stephane
08-28-2009, 10:04 AM
This watch has a terrible crooked date. It's your own sales picture.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2513/35953233.jpg

That is my favourite sale picture ever :D

Pugwash
08-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Looks like an expert photo taken by TTK pretending not to be TTK. :)

It's easy to mock, I'm afraid. However, if dealers want their watches to be objectively reviewed, maybe they should consider sending out review copies. Send a watch to a well-known, independent and trusted reviewer[1] who will then review it and raffle it off.

This way, dealers don't have to bicker with members who only have crappy photos to go by and zero motivation to highlight a specific dealer's wares.

No, it won't happen as dealers don't seem to like the concept of being reviewed independently.

[1] No, not me. I've paid my dues. I'll review stuff I buy or get for free. I'm sure there are new budding reviewers wanting to make their name.

TwoTone
08-28-2009, 08:03 PM
This was the best read I've had all week...

ROTFLMAO...

Double T

prestigewatchco
08-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Yes I agree but anything would seem good on here when compared to the postings on RWG

HaloArchive
08-28-2009, 08:15 PM
PS: I don't give a crap who sells what... I treat all dealers equally and I don't care if my comments "hurt their feelings or sales". All dealers (except you) have always understood this... they understand it's nothing personal. You're the first one ever who comes to my section and starts calling me names and whining like an old lady.

Why do you think I'd give a **** about you and your sales... unlike you I'm not making a DIME from this hobby... that's why members read my reviews and trust them, and that's why YOU will continue to embarrass yourself (if you decide to carry on with your virtual self-slaughter). And besides, you can't speak proper English, compose proper sentences together and (apparently) even understand that your own sales photos ruin your business. However... if you want to keep going on with this, I have absolutely no problem roasting your semi-literate arse even more.

Just like how every other dealer on the planet would try to find my missing watch. Thats why im filing a PP against this guy. He IS the new TTK. But, this belongs in a different thread.

kenberg
08-29-2009, 03:25 AM
Despite the laughs PWC has generated here I do think it's a shame that the halfwit felt the need to crap in BT's review section.

Remember BT lists these reviews on every forum without fear of favour, he is not here as a representative of RWG but as a friend of the community spread across all the fora.

Ken

dandonnelly
08-29-2009, 05:30 AM
why does this guy keep bashing RWG? He is a seller there as well?

HaloArchive
08-29-2009, 05:35 AM
No, his business practices are not accepted on RWG. So, TT has decided he is a no-go. It saves newbies from having more severe issues.

prestigewatchco
08-29-2009, 02:03 PM
For the record I was not saying anything about the review of the noobmariner.
I was however saying about the comment that it was the same as the one I have at the moment.
When in fact it was an opinion based only on a picture rather than the actual watch being to hand that was all.

Nice to see the deadly duo from RWG grace us with their presents
Although Kenberg's post was not needed as anyone that has read any of his postings will realize they only echo 2T's .

As for my not being on RWG why would I bother?
I am on the only 2 forums that count RG/RWI.
So the statement about 2Tone not allowing it is a complete fabrication as he has never been given the opportunity no application from us has ever been submitted.
I have plenty of representation on RWG as is with the "member sales" that get bought from me and I drop ship for the members
So I have no need to be there myself and put up with the deadly duo Batman and Nobin

cpark352
09-17-2009, 08:30 AM
looks really nice

pagesessoms
02-22-2010, 01:23 AM
What a great review. Thanks so much.

Speedman
02-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Whats the difference between the Noobmariner, and the more expensive versions?

miocrow
02-23-2010, 11:58 PM
nice review thanks and btw nice gift!

miocrow
03-17-2010, 03:46 AM
love this little watch
and By-Tor nices pictures!

tiffany.w
03-20-2010, 05:58 AM
Thank you for sharing~

Bulldog46208
03-21-2010, 06:03 PM
:eek:

imbisibol
03-23-2011, 09:08 AM
thanks for this review By-Tor.

Fruggy
06-06-2011, 08:42 AM
By-tor you deserve a geek nickel for that review. Here you go.

By-Tor
06-10-2011, 02:57 AM
Thanks, all.

I'm amazed that people still find this review useful. It's over 5 years old. I'm not sure if this rep is still around but the review itself is as valid as it was when it was initially released.

PS: Sorry for being absent from the forums lately. Been busy with my new house and my 1.5 year old son. I try to make a new watch review in the summer.

Maverick
06-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Good to see you're alive BT.

I myself have two young daughters and can imagine what you're going through .... ;)

Looking forward for the review. Any watch in mind?

Mav

tolis
02-28-2012, 07:03 PM
great review!

dieumonjudge
02-11-2013, 12:36 AM
thanks. helped a lot