PDA

View Full Version : Review of ROLEX Day-Date "President" ETA 2836-2

By-Tor
09-07-2008, 06:37 PM
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/tp2112/title-7.jpg

Another "review watch" for me. I wanted to see this, because I've never seen a decent Day-Date/DateJust replica. I asked Chris to get one for a review and he said "sure, just pick your model". Once again, the blue (or actually turquoise) dial was the most attractive for me. Another reason I wanted to write this article was that there has never been a decent review of a replica DJ/DD. Quite weird, considering how popular and well known this watch is. Time to change that, and have some serious DD/DJ conversation!

The Day Date is actually the "top model" of Rolex, and it's only available in precious metals. This (http://www.mkmotorsport.com/watches_Day-Date1803history.htm) article tells pretty much everything about the history of the DD, and why it earned the nickname "President".

The band is called "Presidential" bracelet, and it's completely different from the JubilÚ that's commonly used on the DateJust. It's quite flimsy and lightweight in typical Rolex fashion.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/tp2112/clasp-3.jpg

This turquoise dial variation is only available in platinum (as a gen), but the replica is (of course) completely made of stainless steel. There are DD's made in yellow, pink and white gold as well. White gold doesn't actually look that much different from SS, but naturally it makes the watch significantly heavier. The gen WG versions weigh over 170 grams, which is a lot for a watch this small! I don't have the weight numbers for the platinum version, but I believe it might be in the same range.

There have been rumors of "white gold plated" replicas, but I believe they're just that... rumors. Our "bling expert" jfreeman wrote an excellent description of the white gold:

"Rolex has a proprietary process to manufacture white gold and rose gold that will never change color. Most all white gold jewelry and watches are plated with rhodium except Rolex. White gold is achieved by mixing gold with nickel. Without the rhodium it will always have a yellow tint. The process Rolex invented is heavily guarded but produces white gold that is brighter than any other and will never fade. I have white gold jewelry that is turning yellow due to the rhodium wearing off.

With that said there is no such thing as white gold plating. It is chemically impossible unless you have the proprietary formula from Rolex. Seeing that Rhodium is the most expensive metal in the world, currently trading at around $6,000 per ounce, it is highly unlikely that a replica manufacturer is plating anything with rhodium."

The watch diameter is only 36 millimeters, and the small size looks a bit old-fashioned next to these huge modern watches. Smaller size is probably the biggest reason why DD and DJ have never been big sellers among our membership.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/tp2112/7.jpg

However, DD and DJ are very good sellers for Rolex, and these models are extremely popular in Asia, where men are (generally) smaller, and have smaller wrists. I actually took a few wristshots of the DD but it admittedly looked a bit "out of place" on my '8 wrist, so I decided to post some on my fiancÚ's wrist. She's a small woman and I think this watch looks great on her.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/tp2112/IMG_0433.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/tp2112/IMG_0435.jpg

How about the accuracy then?

Of course the weight is off, because I chose this particular replica (that only has a platinum gen counterpart). There are probably more accurate replicas in the DateJust line, but none of them look as good as this (imho). And one thing that's very characteristic for the whole DJ/DD line is the HUGE variation of different dials. There are hundreds of them. I'm not an expert in these models, but I've noticed how difficult it has always been to "spot" the reps in the DJ/DD line (even for our senior members). RobbieG just recently posted a Rolex dial reference (http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=80095), which shows the current dials on production. On top of this, there are tons of "unofficial" variations, which (again) makes identifying the reps even tougher.

Here is the gen counterpart (on the right). As you can see the Roman numerals are a bit thicker on the gen, and the crown seems to be a 6mm twinlock (same as Exp and GMT). It's a bit different on the rep. The day font and other dial details are actually very close. Isn't it funny how much off center the gen datewheel is!?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/tp2112/4-3.jpg

Here's a better photo of the rep daywheel (with MONDAY set on). The watch is really beautiful. The lugs and bracelet middle links have been polished to mirror finish.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/tp2112/1-10.jpg

So, after seeing this watch... am I a believer?

Yes and no. When the Day Date was first introduced to the Rolex lineup in 1956, the standard watch size was different. Admittedly this watch represents a "different era" in many ways, including the history it carries. Personally, I wouldn't wear a watch this small, but then I'm a big man with thick wrists. There are bigger classic dress models, such as Omega Aqua Terra, that I personally consider better alternatives for me. On the other hand, this blue Day-Date is among the most beautiful watches I have seen.

The watch has some flaws, but it's still very believable and substantial replication. This is definitely the most gorgeous version in the whole DD/DJ lineup and I wouldn't even consider any other variation. This particular turquoise dial is simply stunning, and Day Date is definitely a prestigious looking dress model for any smaller man (or woman).

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/tp2112/3-5.jpg

DVS
09-07-2008, 07:24 PM
nice writeup!

I really like the Datejust, but even on my small wrist, I think it's too small.. That was also the reason I sold my Explorer I.

Chris V.
09-07-2008, 07:26 PM
awesome review as usual By-Tor! :thumbup: i love the dial on that president!

MEYER8888
09-07-2008, 07:28 PM
One of my favorite design and dial too. but the size... i see the new gen is 41mm on watch magasine. do you hear from rep on this new one?

Maverick
09-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Not my watch at all but a very good review as usual BT!

rigors
09-07-2008, 07:32 PM
hey - new review! nice one By-Tor!

the 2836 must be modified to swap the day and date wheels right? normally the day is inside the date right? cause not on this one...

i've LOVE to see a photographic essay of "people who own a day-date president" - i really have no idea who buys these very very expensive watches...

By-Tor
09-07-2008, 07:39 PM
hey - new review! nice one By-Tor!

the 2836 must be modified to swap the day and date wheels right? normally the day is inside the date right? cause not on this one...

ETA 2836-2 has an automatic day wheel option. I believe that's what the "-2" is referring to. I could be wrong though. Setting the day is simple. You just turn the crown anti-clockwise in the normal crown "second position".

i've LOVE to see a photographic essay of "people who own a day-date president" - i really have no idea who buys these very very expensive watches...

Probably mostly older non-WIS people. That's why you don't see much of DD's and DJ's on the watch forums.

The price is a big issue too, of course. These full gold models have astronomical price tags.

By-Tor
09-07-2008, 07:41 PM
One of my favorite design and dial too. but the size... i see the new gen is 41mm on watch magasine. do you hear from rep on this new one?

Yep, the gen is already out... and I believe it's just a matter of time when the new reps surface. I'm not sure if this turquoise dial is an option with the new DD's though.

caravaggio
09-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Nice review.
Beautiful photos too.....

dtan888
09-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Ahh.. Thanks buddy.. great review as always.. and now eileen wants one too :D :D it look good on T wrists... say hi to her from me.

Dan

By-Tor
09-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks a lot gentlemen!!!

@Dan: I will. ;)

One thing to add: The gen counterpart is actually made of platinum, not white gold. I corrected the information (and title picture) on the review. Shows how little I actually know about the dress models. ;)

swissaddict
09-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Wonderful photos as always, By-Tor. :)

On the winding crown, does the rep have two dots, or a line? The genuine Day-Date has two dots, like this:

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6738/picture20or20video20novui1.jpg

Bearcat
09-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Fantastic review and photos, as always!

We all appreciate the time and effort that goes into these great reviews.

--Doc

By-Tor
09-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Wonderful photos as always, By-Tor. :)

On the winding crown, does the rep have two dots, or a line? The genuine Day-Date has two dots, like this:

Very good observation. The rep has a standard "Twinlock line", just like on DateJust, Explorers and 16710 GMT.

luckydip
09-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Nice one

rc42
09-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Another great read By-Tor, thanks :)

Brings back memories of my first replica (cheap fake) watch over 20 years ago, I wore it for months and it literally fell apart on me but really loved that watch.

I can still appreciate the beauty of the DD and DJ models and the reps are good but the watch is just too small for me to wear these days so I won't be getting another.

There's still the memories of my first fake watch though, preserved forever in pictures :)

http://www.rcross.co.uk/pic/Watches/Rolex_Day-Date_TT_1.jpg

Medenblik
09-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Great Review

Guest1
09-07-2008, 11:29 PM
This is one of the best watches for a laday. The DD look so hot on them.

By-Tor, stellar review man.

swissaddict
09-07-2008, 11:46 PM
BT, gotta correct myself... Just looked through a bunch of gen pics, and the platinum DD should have one dot on the crown, not two.. my mistake. It's the white gold and yellow gold Day-Dates have two dots. None of the gen DD models have the line. A damn good looking rep anyway, though.

Kollektor
09-07-2008, 11:52 PM
What a fabulous watch. I wouldn't hesitate to wear it despite the size. However, I'd prefer the newer size so I'll be waiting semi-patiently.... Would you let us know who the dealer is for this one?

swissaddict
09-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Would you let us know who the dealer is for this one?
This one is from Eurotimez. But it's sold by many others as well.

By-Tor
09-08-2008, 12:39 AM
What a fabulous watch. I wouldn't hesitate to wear it despite the size. However, I'd prefer the newer size so I'll be waiting semi-patiently.... Would you let us know who the dealer is for this one?

The watch came from Eurotimez, but I believe this model is commonly available through most dealers.

@swissaddict: Thanks, I saw the crown reference photos that hk posted. I learn something new every day... I always thought all twinlock crowns have the line... apparently so did the factories.

Jackjo
09-08-2008, 03:23 AM
Nice writeup BT. The platinum gen is a pig I have held it a couple of times.

It is shocking how heavy that it is for a watch of this proportion.

Dave123
09-08-2008, 03:32 AM
When is Rolex gonna wise up and bring out a 48mm day-date so men can start buying them?....:)

By-Tor
09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
When is Rolex gonna wise up and bring out a 48mm day-date so men can start buying them?....:)

I KNEW you'd say that. What would Freud say about your obsession with big watches Dave? :D

Well anyway... Rolex actually released a new DD in 41mm. At least that's a good start... although I'm not a fan of UGLY oversized watches I still admit the current DD model is too small. ;)

By-Tor
09-09-2008, 03:42 AM
Just for the record: Here are the gen prices of this model (thanks hk54ca):

The prices are :eek:

Oyster Perpetual Day-Date. 0 36mm, platinum. bezel set with 24 baguette diamonds.
31 jewel chronometer movement, synthetic sapphire crystal,
with President bracelet 83206 . . . . . . . . . .
with 8 round and 2 baguette diamonds set on dial and President bracelet 83206
Please refer to model 118239 for a complete listing of available additional cost dials.

President Karat" bracelet 84209

Oyster Perpetual Day-Date "Special Edition", " 39mm, platinum, bezel set
with 40 diamonds, 8 round and 2 baguette diamonds set on dial,
with Oyster 20mm bracelet 72746 .. . . . . .
with mother-of-pearl diamond dial and Oyster 20mm bracelet 72746
Please refer to model 118239 for a complete listing of available additional cost dials.

Oyster Perpetual Day-Date. " 36mm, platinum. domed bezel. case lugs set
with 32 diamonds. 31 jewel chronometer movement. synthetic sapphire crystal,
with President bracelet 83206 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ............•.
With 8 round and 2 baguette 'diamonds set on dial and President bracelet 83206 .
Please refer to model 118239 for a complete listing of available additional cost dials. March I, 2008. Subject ro change or withdrawal Without notice

118206 Oyster Perpetual Day-Date. 0 36mm. platinum, domed bezel,
p. 15 with President bracelet 83206 . . . . . . . . .

Father Time
09-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Very nice write up, I have 3 reps of daydate's, 2 fg and one ss(wg) I have also had a fg gen in the past. The reps are very, very close except for the weight. And its a big bonus that Rolex has made so many versions/dials. No one could keep that straight...lol...
I would also say that as a older guy the day date has been the most recognized watch I own, so its not a good watch to sport if you are working at Burger King (no offence) but I would not wear one unless you could buy a gen version, as people really seem to know what it is. I really like them as they can fit under a shirt cuff with ease, try that with a Breitling 6.75.........

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2500/rolex002yy3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DVS
09-10-2008, 04:35 PM
btw, I have set the blue daydate as my screensaver at my gf's pc :D

teartray
09-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Good review.

Daddy
01-30-2009, 02:03 PM
I own a blue Daydate (not the glacier blue as described in this post). The bezel is a bit different on mine and does not have the rounded appearance similar to sample described here. It's more slopping. I'm sure there are a ton of different factories that have rep'ed this watch so there will probably differences on each.

I have a 7" wrist and it does look a bit small on me but I wear it a lot. To work mainly. It looks really nice on my wrist as it peaks out from under my sleeve. When I first received it I was kind of turned off by the small size but once I put it on and looked at it on my wrist in the mirror I thought it looked at home. It does not look like a ladys watch on my wrist. BUT, I will throw out this DISCLAIMER... I typically wear what i want and in my mind I'm rockin' it no matter what others think :) I wear a Breitling SA at play and a Daydate at work. Two extremes but my 7" wrist is versatile I guess. Finally it is nice being average. At least in the watch world.

Great review! These are the things that make RepGeek the great place that it is... the contributions by members like you.

Daddy
01-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Just wanted to add a little to this EXCELLENT review. Below is a picture of my DayDate next to the Gen and Rep used for this review. Notice the outer portion of the bezel on my rep is more slopped. Looks to merely be a difference in the models (newer models are more rounded). The roman numerals on mine seem to be as thin which is not like the gen. The circular portion of the dial that contains the tick markers is closer to the gen in my opinion.

http://cluett.net/public/compare.jpg

Daddy
01-30-2009, 05:51 PM
OK, did a little more research. The rounded edge seems to be consistent with the newer Daydate models. Daddy's rep looks more like the older model which would make sense.

By-Tor
01-31-2009, 05:01 AM
Thanks... good information Daddy.

There's not much difference between the gen and rep Rolex Oyster bands (when you treat & oil the rep bracelet accordingly), but I'm pretty sure the feel of the Presidential bracelet is a lot different on the gen, as it's made of precious metal and probably feels much heavier and sturdier.

The bracelet on the rep looks very good but I doubt it could survive the comparsion with the gen, weight wise. It's rather flimsy and lightweight on the rep. Perhaps getting a Day-Date with polished Oyster band would be better option.

The turquoise dial on the rep isn't exact, either... the gen dial is "whiter" and "less contrasted".

If you find out something else, please do share. I'd like to learn more about the DD reps... When it comes to DD/DJ I'm definitely not an expert.

Thanks again for your input man.

Questions
03-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Nice review dude :)

Franke
04-24-2009, 12:59 PM
If they ever only could remove the stupid cyclop.

stl026
09-26-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm looking to buy this exact model in 21J -- anyone have a reputable source (or want to sell their rep)?

tolis
02-28-2012, 07:06 PM
great!

asb23
03-06-2012, 10:08 AM
nice