PDA

View Full Version : Trusted Dealer Interview: Angus of Puretime

P4GTR
08-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Ladies and gentleman, may I present to you... A trusted dealer interview, with none other than....

The one..

The only..

The man..

They myth...

The legend.......

Angus of Puretime!!!

How old are you?

Are you originally from China? What is your background?

I am originally from HK but i was raised by my grandparents in China.What is your favorite food? Do you like to cook?[

My favorite food is bean curd. And i would like to cook if i had the time, my parents used to own a restaurant. :)

What is your native language? Are you bilingual?

My native language is Cantonese/Maderin and yes i am bilingual. Actually I speak 2 other dialects of Chinese and English so 3 dialects + English.

Are you married? Any children?
I am married, it has been 4 long years now, haha. Unfortunately no children yet, i don't have the time right now, but soon i hope, in the next few years we'd like to start a family.

What is your favorite watch brand right now?
Linde Werdelin.

How did you get into this business?
I came across watches for sale on Yahoo HK and i bought one for myself. I was immediately hooked and fascinated. I started buying and selling them in HK, just to a few people, friends, friends of friends and so on. Eventually my supplier and myself had developed a good relationship, and he invited me to GZ to work directly with him. This was back in the days where eBay wasn't so strict, and my supplier (and then became partner) was selling many pieces per day. I assisted him, lived in a spare room in the office and worked myself really hard. As eBay started to get more strict, i found TRC and became a dealer. That was how PureTime was born, and i went from employee/apprentice to partner, and it grew from there.

Is what you do dangerous? Do you have a lot of stress due to the legalities of what you do?
Yes, it is quite dangerous, but there are ways to minimize risk, which unfortunately i cannot go into. :)

Is business lucrative for you? Are you wealthy?
It is not very lucrative, not as lucrative as some would believe. It really depends on your operation, but in all honesty you are looking at about 20% profit per watch, once you deduct fees that our various payment providers take. For PT itself, with a team of 15+ people on the payroll, + office spaces, bills, equipment, etc., etc., we need to sell at least 30 watches a day to get by and keep the machine running and the money to be sufficient to continue.

As for me being wealthy, no, i am not wealthy, but i am comfortable. I have a mortgage, like most people, my wife and myself both have nice cars, not mega luxury models but decent and new. I am a car fanatic and my passion other than watches is modding my car, but my wife stopped me, she said it was too expensive. :( - anyways i digress… for my age, for the age of PT, i am doing quite well by the average standard, but by no means am i rich. :)

What do you think peoples biggest misconception is with high-end replicas?
I think the biggest misconception is the idea that it is easy to get everything 100% perfect, and that a V1 of a watch will have intentional flaws so that the Maker can make a V2, V3, etc., etc. This is not the case. Most people seem to think that the Makers match their enthusiasm. The Makers make great watches because we demand it, because people on the forums are pushing the industry that way. But there is a balance, because the forums only make a small % of total sales, and most people do not care if a marker is slightly thinner to gen, or if a DW has wrong font. So the Makers do their best, and then if their best isn't good enough, they step up and correct the flaws as best as they can. Trust me, if TDs that have connections to the Makers did not alert the Makers of flaws, they wouldn't make a V2. If no one complained, they wouldn't make a V2 and so on, because 99% of their buyers really don't care like we do.

Where do you see the replica market in 5 years?
I see it changing a lot. With more strict measures coming into China, i see a lot of the smaller Makers disappearing, leaving only the giants. I think we will see a decline in the variety and quantity produced of less popular brands/models, but an increase in the quality of what is produced.

What other hobbies and interests do you have?
Car modding, video games and i love spending time with my dogs and my wife, of course. :)

Are some replicas really just sneaking out of the back door of the genuine factory?
Some are OEM, but that just means the parts, or most parts, have been acquired from the various parts factories and pieced together. Although some low end ones, like the D&G i sell, is authentic… "overstock".

How many Ferrari's does the noobmaker own now? (joking)
Haha! Seven… one for each day of the week. Just kidding! No Ferraris, but i cannot go into detail on this. But the cars are NICE.

The percent of high end reps made is very small comparatively, right? Why do people take the risk for such a small market, is the profit worth it?
The market is huge. For instance, the AP Diver Forged Carbon V1 that i used get… that was not so popular on the forums, however, the Maker has sold hundreds and hundreds in a very short time-frame. They were selling like hot cakes. Again… we are only a tiny % of what this market is.

Over the past year or two, which highly anticipated release wound up being the biggest flop?
I would say the AP Diver V3/V3.5, in terms of sales to forum members. Apart from that, none really stick out in my mind, as everything that is hyped on the forums is made with forum members in mind. Forum members are a great yard stick for a Maker to assess the popularity of a watch. Actually even though we are a small market for the Makers, we are invaluable (everyone on the forums) - everyone here is actually pushing the rep watch industry, steering it for everyone else. You guys have yourselves to thank (with some help from TDs like myself, Toro, InTime, etc., etc.) to really push things.

There you have it! A special thanks to Angus for taking time out of his busy schedule to let us get to know him and his world a little more. Thanks Angus!

Leo
08-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Great interview!
Angus seems so humble...

aksingh
08-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Thanks for that, bit weird reading thru one of these that's by a man but I got thru it. :)

And when we pick and pick at all the little details of a new release we ought to remember what the great man himself says -

Trust me, if TDs that have connections to the Makers did not alert the Makers of flaws, they wouldn't make a V2. If no one complained, they wouldn't make a V2 and so on, because 99% of their buyers really don't care like we do.

Cromag
08-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Another indispensable piece from Angus! Thank you.

ohad
08-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Great interview!!!

best replica in USA
08-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks for taking the time Angus!

Latrocinor
08-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Great piece, thanks

ZoomBoy
08-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Great but can't read it on tapatalk with the yellow font.

Sent from my X909 using Tapatalk 2

P4GTR
08-16-2013, 09:47 PM

Crap! Thanks for pointing that out. For those of us that use Tapatalk, worry not- The entire interview portion is in green. All you missed in yellow is "an interview with the man, the myth, the legend... Angus of Puretime"

Sunbird
08-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Excellent interview, thanks.

As a very new member, it is great to get some feeling for the "man" behind the shopfront.

cougar1
08-16-2013, 10:16 PM
Great interview, great questions P4, and Angus thanks for the always honest responses and the insight. Always great to read this stuff. And Angus your English is better than most people in the UK!

AllergyDoc
08-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Interesting read.

rek001
08-16-2013, 11:01 PM
Thanks Angus.
You sound like a genuinely nice guy, love to have a beer with you someday.

torobravo
08-17-2013, 05:49 AM
I think the last question was misunderstood

Cromag
08-17-2013, 06:45 AM
I think the last question was misunderstood

Why do you say that? It made sense to me in the context of the forum.

torobravo
08-17-2013, 06:54 AM
Why do you say that? It made sense to me in the context of the forum.

Because that was the biggest success, not the biggest flop. Just some language barrier I guess.

mike00
08-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Indeed... Misunderstood.

4ubrey
08-17-2013, 07:44 AM
This guy is super nice! I will gladly do business with him

chronoluvvv
08-17-2013, 09:22 AM
live long & prosper

watchman12345
08-17-2013, 10:00 AM
I was just going to say the last question has to be misunderstood!

Cromag
08-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Because that was the biggest success, not the biggest flop. Just some language barrier I guess.

Oh!!!

wolfwood
08-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Why not ask him again?

Buggs
08-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks to both the interviewer and Angus for such an insightful backdrop of a day in the life of a rep watch dealer in China. I have a new found appreciation for the people who provide us with such great quality reps.

Maximax
08-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Great read! Thanks for your time Angus and P4GTR.

jpohl402
08-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Dan,
Did you do the interview yourself?
Very cool, a good read!
Although I'm also confused/unsure what he means about Diver 3/3.5 being biggest flop...?!

ZoomBoy
08-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Language barrier. AP diver was probably the biggest success.

Biggest flop as of late? Maybe the JLC NSD even though I have it on my wrist right now and is an amazing piece.

maumau4L
08-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Angus is such a great guy and dealer !!

classified1
08-25-2013, 07:08 PM
AWESOME! Damn I was waiting for this for so long.
Thanks to the interviewer and interviewee.

Would not mind if there is a sequel to this :)

Lobster2010
08-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Language barrier. AP diver was probably the biggest success.

Biggest flop as of late? Maybe the JLC NSD even though I have it on my wrist right now and is an amazing piece.

+1

First and foremost, amazing interview with the most active-with-the-people dealer.

The last question was misunderstood as the Diver was and is selling like crazy and any derivatives from it I.e. the FC.

I agree that the JLC was probably a flop which I can't understand as it's such a stunning piece and also perhaps the IWC Vintage Ingeniuer Laureus edition which again I can't understand why.

idanmaman
08-31-2013, 09:33 PM
he is a honest!

Variatio Delectat
09-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Fully agreed. Great interview!

Motoman4540
09-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the illuminating interview! As a relative noob to the rep world, I think that getting some insight into the people behind the industry is really fascinating. I'd love to see this as a regular feature here! I would especially like to hear about someone touring noob factory, for example. As an AP fan, I think that flaws or not, the reps are amazing and require pretty skillful work to design and assemble, and to hear what goes into the design and production would be really interesting! Thanks for the interview and thanks to Angus for letting us glimpse the man behind PT!

spankster23
09-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Great interview thank you, i like the fasct that what is said and read on our forum is actually communicated to the factories. The better the feedback they get, the better the watches become...

catfish1
10-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Great interview! Thanks for doing these RG.

Champagne InHnad
01-09-2014, 04:40 AM
This was an excellent story. I have seen the really bad versions on the streets of NYC and other large metropolitan areas. They are for the most part complete junk. They also sell for a very small amount compared to good reps, and for the good reps, we all thank you.

tycke
01-14-2014, 11:45 PM
Nice interview!

cfkong
01-23-2014, 02:20 AM
Thank You for the Insight!

chireeper85
02-24-2014, 06:21 AM
Great interview and information

S3G0Y
02-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Yes, great read! I love these interviews with TDs. Great idea P4GTR.

The one think is making me curious every time I read them. Every dealer says that we (forum members) are just a tiny % of the total demand for the factories.
What is the rest of the demand? Taobao? Watch-stores in China or worldwide? Internet fake watches stores (not TDs)?
If they produce a batch of highest quality rep of CrPO let's say 5000 pieces. I think that at least 500 pieces goes to forum geeks (rwi, repgeek, rwg, rwg*, and others).
Where the rest go?
500 pieces from 5000 pieces is still 10% - not that tiny %. Or the batches are larger than 5k pcs? Or forum's demand is less than 500 pieces of one model?

Cheetah
02-24-2014, 11:16 PM
Thanks for taking the "time" for this, Angus and thanks for posting, P4

Cee
02-24-2014, 11:52 PM
Nice to see what your favorite watch brand was at the time Angus...I hope it's still the same! haha :D

modaseis
03-01-2014, 07:43 AM
I would like to see more td interview

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to see more td interview

bryanpeel
03-25-2014, 03:54 AM
Great read

Helldiver
08-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Nicely done. Love this interview section.

krispykarim
08-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Looking forward to doing business with you sometime soon!

Superduperwatch
01-02-2016, 03:32 PM
This is an interesting read as a new join. Glad to hear about Puretime as I recently bought a piece from them.

Ruthless750
03-24-2016, 12:09 PM
Great interview, Angus is passionate about his business, which benefits us all

on+time
04-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Yes, great read! I love these interviews with TDs. Great idea P4GTR.

The one think is making me curious every time I read them. Every dealer says that we (forum members) are just a tiny % of the total demand for the factories.
What is the rest of the demand? Taobao? Watch-stores in China or worldwide? Internet fake watches stores (not TDs)?
If they produce a batch of highest quality rep of CrPO let's say 5000 pieces. I think that at least 500 pieces goes to forum geeks (rwi, repgeek, rwg, rwg*, and others).
Where the rest go?
500 pieces from 5000 pieces is still 10% - not that tiny %. Or the batches are larger than 5k pcs? Or forum's demand is less than 500 pieces of one model?
Brother: the replica industry is a multi-billion dollar a year industry and goes "much" deeper than accurate looking well know watch brands.
You'd be surprised to learn just "how" huge it really is and equally surprised at who's "pulling the strings" to make it happen.
Simply put: it's global and it's on every level.
Believe the man when he says the combined revenue generated from the forums ( like this one and 3 others that are popular) amount to a very small percentage overall while at the same time the input/opinions/advice given by members of forums like this is priceless.
I do.
A thank you for the OP and for Angus: great interview :)

LilyJane
04-18-2016, 10:32 AM
Great interview! It was interesting ((:

Sarah75
05-22-2016, 06:50 AM
I wonder what he means by "dangerous" exactly... Like.. Mafia things? Murder? Blackmail? Or does he jst fear the authorities?

on+time
05-30-2016, 02:15 AM
I wonder what he means by "dangerous" exactly... Like.. Mafia things? Murder? Blackmail? Or does he jst fear the authorities?
Likely a bit of both.

C5000
06-08-2016, 06:30 PM
I'd love to spend a couple days with a dealer in China, to see what it's really like. I don't think a tall American would add to their street cred or stand out in any way though....

joeyk84
06-23-2016, 10:09 PM
how or where do i look for his inventory i want to buy some watches and cant find any. help>

gunzie
07-13-2016, 08:20 PM
Awesome interview, the TD do a great job, so far I have only ordered off of toro but I got to say the pure time website looks awesome and I will more than likely buy from him at some point

indywatchguy
07-13-2016, 08:41 PM
Great interview! A is the man! Thanks for sharing!

moffydream
07-15-2016, 08:52 PM
interesting review, looking forward to do business with Angus!

Gavmeister
09-30-2016, 12:36 PM

Discovered t he same issue... :( pity as i was looking forward to reading it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

yamazaki79
05-23-2017, 09:27 PM
Great read. Thanks Angus.
Can I ask why you have a Scottish name or is it chinese nick name?

Freezee90
06-01-2017, 06:00 PM
Lol!
great read. Thanks angus.
Can i ask why you have a scottish name or is it chinese nick name?

yamazaki79
06-02-2017, 02:24 PM
Lol!

What's so funny?

lika
06-09-2017, 11:27 PM
Thank you for the interview. Angus all your answers looks really honest and frank.;)

Xpanzer88x
08-10-2018, 05:10 PM
Awesome insight

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Alphaholic100
10-10-2018, 10:16 PM
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

daytonadragon
10-10-2018, 10:24 PM
Cheers

Cheers for what? To raise your post count.

Alphaholic100
10-10-2018, 10:57 PM
Cheers for what? To raise your post count.Same to you

Alphaholic100
10-10-2018, 10:57 PM
Hater

daytonadragon
10-10-2018, 11:12 PM
JMS1988 send Alphaholic100 a chill pill.

mysterio
10-11-2018, 04:19 AM
JMS1988 send Alphaholic100 a chill pill.

DD, are you serious? JM wasn't in on this thread. :)
I will henceforth delete all of your posts if you persist in this behavior Alphaholic100.

daytonadragon
10-11-2018, 11:48 PM
DD, are you serious? JM wasn't in on this thread. :)
I will henceforth delete all of your posts if you persist in this behavior Alphaholic100.
mysterio - I apologize as is was a very poor attempt to be humorous.

mysterio
10-12-2018, 01:00 AM
mysterio - I apologize as is was a very poor attempt to be humorous.

Yeah, a joke that is obvious only to the people involved shouldn't be shared in public. We lack the context to understand why it is funny.

DaleM
12-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Chinese typo, meant Anus, lol!

Angus does great service. While I use InTime mostly his service has me looking to change up for a bit. He did me a solid when I wanted a particular watch!

Tigerdragon
12-20-2018, 02:38 PM
Great read. Thanks Angus.
Can I ask why you have a Scottish name or is it chinese nick name?

Maybe he likes MacGyver? Would make sense if he is modding cars, MacGyver was modding things in the old and new series too.

youyou
12-24-2018, 10:38 PM
Great interview.
I'll say i've had a love/hate relationship with Puretime.
Even through all the issues i've had i always continued buying from them.
One thing i can vouch for is you'll always get your product.
Loved the interview.

capice
12-25-2018, 09:40 AM
Let's get an updated interview

MagicMike
02-21-2019, 03:15 AM
Thank you Angus for taking the time to interview.

vintage26
10-06-2019, 12:30 AM
Helped me to do business with him. Great Idea.

Qind
02-01-2020, 02:21 AM
Angus, great nformation , pleasure to hear from you on the hobby and your personal life .

Kenmac
02-01-2020, 11:57 AM
Great interview, thanks very much