PDA

View Full Version : On the way from Andrew!

JAZ
08-18-2011, 12:11 AM
I got Narikaa's version, but decided to upgrade to an ETA version with lugholes on a rivet bracelet. I know it's not identical to the gen, but I am so excited. Wanted to share the pics: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GL74-Qz76cA/TkxJPRakS9I/AAAAAAAAAkU/qhErpf877bg/s1600/30.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cFUA0IZ6x5E/TkxJcITBLNI/AAAAAAAAAkY/exjvrxCnOTA/s1600/32.jpg

I'm guessing it will be my daily beater.

ilovemytagcarrera
08-21-2011, 02:49 PM
nice watch, great Qc pics

badgerblack
08-21-2011, 05:22 PM
A very nice watch indeed. How close is it to the real deal?

Regards.

JAZ
08-22-2011, 07:38 PM
A very nice watch indeed. How close is it to the real deal?

Regards.

It's closer than the Narikaa. The hands are lumed differently than the gen, as the lume takes up more space. And with mine, the dial/movement seems to be not perfectly centered. It's askew to the left a bit. I'm hoping I can get that fixed.

I love the watch! (Check the vintage thread to see my crappy photos: http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?p=1630567#post1630567)

dustindu4
08-22-2011, 07:55 PM
you know Andrew asks you in those emails not to post QC pics on forums.........

JAZ
08-22-2011, 08:18 PM
you know Andrew asks you in those emails not to post QC pics on forums.........

I didn't know that. Should have read the fine print. Won't do it again.

The Dude
08-22-2011, 08:31 PM
I love these but just can't wear 36mm's anymore.

JAZ
08-22-2011, 09:19 PM
I love these but just can't wear 36mm's anymore.

I hear you. I want to lead the trend back in the direction of small watches though. I think they look great. The subtlety (and dare I say tastefulness) of small watches is not to be believed. I attended a wedding recently where the grandfather of the bride was an old, retired but hugely successful business man (Greenwich, CT type). He had the tiniest vintage Jaeger Le Coutre watch, it must have been 32mm on a crocodile strap. It was probably purchased in 1964 and looked amazing. I made note.

The Dude
08-22-2011, 11:11 PM
I hear you. I want to lead the trend back in the direction of small watches though. I think they look great. The subtlety (and dare I say tastefulness) of small watches is not to be believed. I attended a wedding recently where the grandfather of the bride was an old, retired but hugely successful business man (Greenwich, CT type). He had the tiniest vintage Jaeger Le Coutre watch, it must have been 32mm on a crocodile strap. It was probably purchased in 1964 and looked amazing. I made note.

I remember in 1986 I bought my first gen, a 36mm Rolex SS Datejust. It seemed huge at the time. I bought a BMW 635csi the same year; life was good in the '80s.

But I know what you're saying. It seems all the old money guys I know wear classic 38mm or smaller pieces. JLCs, PPs, VCs, etc. I personally feel most comfortable these days in something 40 - 42mm that fits under a shirt cuff. That being said, there is something oddly satisfying about having a giant 45mm hunk of metal strapped to your arm occasionally. And while I must admit I do feel like a bit of a ponce sometimes with an enormous Pam or Chopard on my wrist, I live in Central Europe where no one has any taste anyway, so I suppose I can get away with it. :)

slooowr6
08-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Can't find one like this one with rivet bracelet. Do you have a link to Andrew's site?
Thanks!

JAZ
08-23-2011, 04:29 AM
I remember in 1986 I bought my first gen, a 36mm Rolex SS Datejust. It seemed huge at the time. I bought a BMW 635csi the same year; life was good in the '80s.

But I know what you're saying. It seems all the old money guys I know wear classic 38mm or smaller pieces. JLCs, PPs, VCs, etc. I personally feel most comfortable these days in something 40 - 42mm that fits under a shirt cuff. That being said, there is something oddly satisfying about having a giant 45mm hunk of metal strapped to your arm occasionally. And while I must admit I do feel like a bit of a ponce sometimes with an enormous Pam or Chopard on my wrist, I live in Central Europe where no one has any taste anyway, so I suppose I can get away with it. :)

It sounds like you had an awesome 1986! Didn't mean for my comments to sound snobby, and you are very gracious. :)

I think, for me, the smaller timepieces also appeal on the "daily beater" front, which is what I've been looking for. But I do want to get some larger watches too, for the exact same reasons you mentioned. I've spent a fair amount of time and money trying to find a daily beater and now have two or three that I love, all smaller models. You're totally right about the odd appeal of having a massive piece of metal strapped to the arm. I want to get a larger IWC I think, when I start in that direction. They blow my mind. And I love the A Lange Sohne flyback too. Soon soon...

Can't find one like this one with rivet bracelet. Do you have a link to Andrew's site?
Thanks!

Here it is (in the "top grade vintage" section) --> http://www.yourtrustytime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_103&products_id=623

The Dude
08-23-2011, 07:10 AM
It sounds like you had an awesome 1986! Didn't mean for my comments to sound snobby, and you are very gracious. :)

I think, for me, the smaller timepieces also appeal on the "daily beater" front, which is what I've been looking for. But I do want to get some larger watches too, for the exact same reasons you mentioned. I've spent a fair amount of time and money trying to find a daily beater and now have two or three that I love, all smaller models. You're totally right about the odd appeal of having a massive piece of metal strapped to the arm. I want to get a larger IWC I think, when I start in that direction. They blow my mind. And I love the A Lange Sohne flyback too. Soon soon...

I didn't take anything you said as snobby. Have you seen the PP ref. 5070? That's my next watch I could never afford rep. :)