PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on how to age/fade a bezel?

davidF
04-28-2011, 11:53 PM
I want to age my new root beer bezel. Thx.

pc12drvr
04-29-2011, 01:17 AM
cheap bleach

realreplica
04-29-2011, 03:16 AM
cheap bleach

What he said! :)

Turnipz
04-30-2011, 12:56 PM
May want to dilute it and do it slow, Ive seen some bad aging jobs. I think there was a guide somewhere on it.

J-C
04-30-2011, 01:05 PM
I moved this thread to the Vintage Section.

Some of our RepGeek Vintage friends will have some suggestions.

PJerome
04-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Hey Dave,
How do you like the Root Beer? I really think they did a pretty nice job. My bezel is now locked up because I siliconed the insert and must have locked it up by mistake. Maybe with time it will loosen up.

I guess it's not my style to want to age that watch. After 24 years mine is only a tiny bit faded at the bezel. I'm not sure the numerals with the gold rings around them would be really vintage looking. That would be a very nice change if we could find a brown dial with the old "SPOT" numerals. By the way , the watch that is worth the real money is the one that's called the "Nipple " dial . Apparently only made a year or so in limited numbers as an interim watch or maybe to see how it would sell.

It's funny, The AD 's first question was "Do you want a new bezel, this one is slightly faded?" See the 3rd picture difference in color of gen and rep? And that was only 5 years after I bought it.I never thought it was any different when I bought it. Honestly, I don't think the color changed at all because I found in researching , that there are a few different gold "Tones" they made on those watches. I have a feeling the AD didn't know that and I still don't believe the color of 18 carat gold changes like that. I think if you gently bleach it out it will look okay as long as it doesn't take the color off completely. Then you'll have to order a new bezel...be careful...Maybe use the bleach diluted.
Good luck, i'd like to see it after you age it....please send pictures if possible to:
temptones1@verizon.net.

PJerome
04-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Here's a picture of the NIPPLE DIAL Root Beer...Worth a few thousand more than the normal dial from 1987 model. I think the date is around 1985.

davidF
05-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Pj, haven't gotten the watch yet. Andrew is shipping it today. Ordered a brown gator strap, new bezel insert and a gen rolex buckle.

Champagne InHnad
01-09-2014, 07:43 AM
A UV light bulb can do a bit of aging as well too, maybe to augment the sodium hypochlorite solution.

XloveXwatchX
09-17-2014, 08:38 PM
I have tryed many times whit bleach whitout any result :(

Any suggestion about it? The bezel after 3 hours or 1 complete day in the bleach solution still the same new condition!

vito1
01-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Bleach + sun exposure!

I have tryed many times whit bleach whitout any result :(

Any suggestion about it? The bezel after 3 hours or 1 complete day in the bleach solution still the same new condition!

pallino
02-09-2018, 05:25 PM
correct. I've aged myself so much with sun exposure